As you will get personal attention from your knowledgeable guide, you will be introduced to the history of Greek gastronomy and discover beautiful neighborhoods & off the beaten path food shops.
With an in-the-know foodie guide, you’ll enjoy 15 (!) tastings of the Greek cuisine as you walk through the non-touristic neighborhoods of Athens, to meet vendors and learn about secret Greek recipes.
From traditional pies to cold cuts to stuffed tomatoes to loukoumades, your taste buds will be tingling the entire time.
Big tip: come hungry.
What to expect ……
Starting from Syntagma Square, where the heart of Athens is beating, you will enjoy a taste of Greece you won't soon forget. After meeting your experienced, food-loving guide, set off on your exploration that will introduce you to the local culinary scene.
In this 4-hour experience your foodie expert guide will share with you insights about the enduring history of Greek food and the local culture. Starting your day with a traditional stuffed phyllo pie from a family-run place since the 20’s, you will be lead to hidden culinary gems inside the city that only locals know about.
We will visit many different food and pastry shops, off the beaten path taverns & traditional restaurants but also explore the Athens Central Market, the center of Athens commercial life.
Traveling with an expert local means nothing will get past you. You'll learn why food is a special element of Greek culture; the different fresh and pure ingredients that the Greek land provides us with during all seasons; how different spices have different uses and what makes Greek cuisine so special. Featuring 15 delicious tastings like dolmades, pastourma, feta cheese and Greek rice pudding, you'll get to escape the crowds and taste the best of what Athens has to offer.
Unlike many Athens food tours, you won't just be sampling mouthfuls. "Athens for foodies" is a 4-hour Greek Gastronomy Tour where you will taste traditional Greek recipes such as stuffed tomatoes, , moussaka, mageiritsa (what a strange name for a traditional Greek recipe!), soutzoukakia (Greek Smyrna meatballs), the dessert of the winners of the ancient Olympic Games and more.
We warn you not to eat breakfast & guarantee there will be no room for lunch!
- Enjoy the best of Greek food at venues you might not have found on your own. Your knowledgeable foodie guide will entertain you with stories on the history of Greek cuisine, along with providing insight on the various restaurants, taverns and specialty eateries.
- Taste more than 15 different Greek foods and join an unforgettable gastronomical experience.
- Chow down on the best of Greek cuisine with visits to authentic eateries.
- Traveling in small groups or private, you'll enjoy personal attention from your guide.
- Explore the most lively part of the city; the Central Market of Athens